top of page

Newsweek Article on Dam Failures

Newsweek published an article titled "Michigan Homes Were Swallowed by a Dam -- There's No Sign of Compensation" on August 18, 2025. You can read the full article here.


The reporter summarized the events leading up to and including the dam failures and status of recovery and lawsuits, presently. Matt Smith and Bob Woods were interviewed about their personal losses.


Attorney Sharon Almonrode (representing over 2,000 individuals who filed suit against the state) said "It was not just a serendipitous event," pointing at the state of MI and said this could have been avoided.


On the other hand, Danny Wimmer, spokesperson for MI Department of Attorney General said the state "was not responsible" for the dam failure and that he expects litigation will be unsuccessful.

 
 
 

Recent Posts

See All
Sanford Lake Aquatic Plant Control Program FAQ

During the Annual Sanford Lake Association Members Meeting and Picnic last week, Paul Hausler, from Progressive AE, who is the professional scientist retained by the Sanford Lake Improvement Board (SL

 
 
 
Sanford Lake Fish Kill Update: What We Know

We have an important update regarding the recent fish mortality on Sanford Lake. Sanford Lake Association spoke with April Morey, Fisheries Management Biologist with the Michigan Department of Natural

 
 
 

Comments


bottom of page